Limited to Only 50 Guitars Worldwide
Eddie Van Halen's wildly iconic black-with-yellow stripes Strat®-style guitar made its official debut on the cover of the 1979 album Van Halen II. “Bumblebee,” as it would affectionately come to be known by fans, was heavily played by Eddie throughout Van Halen's 1979 world tour.
40 years later, EVH® has meticulously recreated this world famous instrument in the form of the limited edition ’79 Bumblebee. This tribute model features all of the original specs including an ash Strat® body, bolt-on birdseye maple neck with oiled back finish, straight 12” radius birdseye maple fingerboard with 21 jumbo frets, katalox dots and black side dots, and skirted Strat-style “Tone” volume knob.
True to Eddie’s pickup recipe, the instrument has been outfitted with an EVH ’79 Bumblebee humbucking bridge pickup. EVH also matched the Bumblebee’s six screw holes, which are hidden under the original prototype non-fine tuner locking tremolo bridge that EVH recreated just for this project, along with the original proto locking nut. All hardware has been reliced, including the custom brass string retainer, screw-eye strap hooks, original period-correct Schaller® tuning machines and side output jack.
Its black-with-yellow-stripes paint job has also been reliced to match the wear and tear from his year of touring, and is stylishly finished off with chrome hardware.
Adding to the value and the once-in-a lifetime collector’s nature of this instrument, Eddie Van Halen signed the back of each headstock.
Arriving in a custom-made Anvil® hardshell case, the package will also include '70s-era Fender Super Bullets strings, Van Halen '70s tortoiseshell picks, exclusive collector’s Bumblebee booklet, Young Guitar book Van Halen Live Tour in Japan 1978 & 1979 and several autographed items including a certificate of authenticity, 8”x10” 1979 concert photo of Eddie Van Halen and vinyl copy of Van Halen II.
'79 BUMBLEBEE SPECIFICATIONS
- 25.5” scale length
- Ash Strat® body
- Bolt-on birdseye maple neck with oiled back finish
- 12” radius birdseye maple fingerboard with 21 jumbo frets, katalox dots and black side dots
- EVH ’79 Bumblebee bridge pickup
- Skirted Strat®-style volume knob labeled “Tone”
- Period-correct prototype non-fine tuner locking tremolo bridge system and prototype locking nut
- Custom brass string retainer
- Reliced chrome hardware
- Screw-eye strap hooks
- Period-correct Schaller® tuning keys with “S” engraved
- Side output jack
- Black-with-yellow-stripes hand-painted reliced finish
- Licensed Fender® Strat® headstock
- Back of the headstock signed by Eddie Van Halen
- Custom-made Anvil® case
- Signed Van Halen II vinyl
- Signed 8”x10” 1979 concert photo of Eddie Van Halen playing Bumblebee
- Signed Certificate of Authenticity
- Exclusive Bumblebee Collector’s Booklet
- Van Halen Live Tour in Japan 1978 & 1979 Young Guitar Book
- Two packs of '70s-era Fender® Super Bullets strings in recreated packaging
- Van Halen '70s tortoiseshell picks
Model Name:'79 Bumblebee, Birdseye Maple Fingerboard, Black with Yellow StripesModel Number:5101079000Series:Limited EditionMSRP:$24749.99Color:Black with Yellow Stripes
Body Shape:Stratocaster®Body Material:AshBody Finish:Gloss Urethane
Neck Material:Birdseye MapleNeck Shape:Custom '79 BumblebeeScale Length:25.5" (648 mm)Fingerboard Radius:12" (305 mm)Number of Frets:21Fret Size:JumboString Nut:Prototype Locking NutNut Width:1 11/16" (43 mm)Headstock:Licensed Fender® Stratocaster®Neck Plate:4-Bolt StandardNeck Finish:OiledFingerboard:Birdseye MaplePosition Inlays:Katalox Dot
Bridge Pickup:EVH® '79 BumblebeeControls:VolumePickup Switching:NonePickup Configuration:H
Bridge:Period-Correct Prototype Non-Fine Tuner Locking TremoloTuning Machines:Period-Correct Schaller® with "S" EngravedOrientation:Right-HandHardware Finish:Chrome Relic (Unplated Tremolo)Pickguard:NoneControl Knobs:Stratocaster®-Style Skirt (Labeled "Tone")
Strings:'70s-Era Fender® Super Bullets (.009-.040 Gauges)Included Accessories:'70s-era Fender Super Bullets strings, Van Halen '70s tortoiseshell picks, an exclusive Bumblebee collector’s booklet, Young Guitar book "Van Halen Live Tour in Japan 1978 & 1979" and several autographed items including a certificate of authenticity, 8”x10” 1979 concert photo of Eddie Van Halen and vinyl copy of "Van Halen II."